While Lyme disease-carrying ticks are much less present in Mount Royal than in other parts of Quebec, the Town is not necessary tick-free. The regions with the highest risk of infected ticks are found in southern Quebec, in particular the northern parts of Estrie, the southwestern parts of Mauricie-et-Centre-du-Québec and much of the Montérégie.
To avoid contracting Lyme disease, Townies are encouraged to take the following preventive measures:
- Use an insect repellant that contains DEET or icaridin
- Stay on marked trails and park grounds and avoid tall grass
- Wear a hat and light-coloured clothing with long legs and sleeves
- Take a shower or bath after all outdoor activities, then carefully check your body and those of your children and pets to find any ticks that have hitched a ride
- Using an appropriate technique, remove any attached ticks as soon as possible (within 24 hours). Also, call Info-Santé 811.