Personal information protection policy

This site uses navigation cookies to provide you with an optimal experience.

Learn more

Where would you like to
share this page?

Services Roads and Maintenance Sewers and Water Mains

Sewers and Water Mains

The Mount Royal public sewer and water mains networks each total 90 km of conducts.

Throughout the year, the Town carries out regular maintenance work on its sewer and drinking water systems. This work is carried out either by Public Works or by the Technical Services - Engineering division, depending on the availability of crews and the nature and scope of the work.

Sewer Back-Up Caused by a Problem With a Service Connection

In the case of obstructions caused by tree roots. Before contacting the Town, it is up to the homeowner to contract the services of a plumber to check his or her installations. A plumber can view the pipes with a camera to determine whether the problem is actually in the connection, either on the private or public side. Once the video has been received from your plumber, if you believe that the source of the problem is on the Town's side, it should be forwarded to Technical Services by e-mail at

In such cases, the municipality assumes responsibility for repairing the damage to the homeowner affected by the backflow. On the other hand, if the problem originates in the domestic network, which starts at the property line, the owner is notified.

Please make sure that your private system’s cleanout remains accessible at all times so it can be reached quickly in an emergency.

You have a window of fifteen days following a sewer back-up to submit a claim to the Town if you believe that the Town's responsibility is engaged. Do so before you even know the extent of the damage and the related costs.

Learn tips to protect your home against back-ups: consult the the folder in the documents associated to this page. See also the letter  Protecting your home against water damage during extreme weather, published during summer 2023.

Water Breaks

The aim of Public Works is to take charge of repair work within four to eight hours for water main break emergencies, from the time the break is reported.

The costs of repairs are assumed by Town of Mount Royal if the public system is found to be the source of the problem.

If the break is in a private line, the owner is given notice to have it repaired at his or her expense within a limited time.

Procedure to Follow for a New Sewer and/or Aqueduct Connection

To get a permit for the installation of a new sewer and/or water main connection; please fill our online form.


Find relevant documents related to this web page

Learn more