Personal information protection policy

This site uses navigation cookies to provide you with an optimal experience.

Learn more

Where would you like to
share this page?

Services Residents Useful Information

Useful Information

To help you make this project a success, here is some useful information

First Things First

Before you start preparing your project, make sure you obtain all the zoning information for your neighbourhood. Zoning determines the uses permitted as well as the restrictions applying to your sector with respect to setbacks, building height, volume and area.

The Site Planning and Architectural Integration Plan (PIIA) indicates from which of the three historical phases of development of the urban fabric your neighborhood stems. The PIIA sets out objectives and guidelines for construction, renovation and landscaping changes. It even applies to apartment buildings, commercial buildings and industrial buildings. Its goal is to ensure that all changes integrate harmoniously within their surrounding environment.

Allowed materials and types of construction are specified in our Building By-law No. 1443.

Together, the zoning specifications and the PIIA, combined with a list of potential materials to consider, will provide you with the right information to help you prepare a quality project to be submitted to the Planning Advisory Committee (CCU).

Documents Provided by the Town

To receive the documents offered by Town of Mount Royal (refer to the list below), the owner must visit the Urban Planning and Development counter with identification. Alternatively, they can authorize a representative, by letter, to acquire the necessary plans.

The documents provided by the Town are:

  • Previous permits
  • Building plans for your home (the Town keeps most of these plans)
  • Zoning specifications, PIIA, etc.

Certificate of Location*: An official document created by a land surveyor to pinpoint the precise location of structures built on a property. The certificate contains a detailed description of the property and is crucial for completing any real estate transactions.

Moreover, it outlines any potential servitudes that may impact a property renovation project.

It should be included with your permit or zoning study application.

*The Town of Mount Royal does not provide location certificates.

Verification of a Permit Application

The process starts with the verification of your project by the Urban Planning and Development Division, which determines whether or not it complies with Town by-laws. Your project must be submitted one week prior to a Planning Advisory Committee (CCU) meeting to allow for its verification before it can be submitted.

Once compliance has been established, your project is submitted to the CCU. The Committee assesses your application on the basis of objectives and criteria with respect to the location and architecture of the proposed structures or layout of the land, in light of site planning and architectural integration by-laws.

If your project meets the CCU’s criteria, the committee recommends its approval by Town Council. Once this approval has been granted, a permit is issued.

If the CCU refuses your project or asks you to review it, it will make suggestions to help you resubmit it for approval.

When Boundary Marking is Required Before Beginning Work

All holders of permits for the enlargement of a building or other structure within 30 cm of required setbacks or for the erection of a main building, swimming pool or fence must have the site staked by a land surveyor before work may commence.

Documents to Display and Retain During Work

Display the building permit in a window where it is easily visible from the street.

Keep on the building site a complete copy of the plans signed and stamped by the Town for on-site consultation by the contractor and the inspector.

Role of Inspector

Once a permit has been issued, the inspector is required to perform inspections during construction to ensure the structure and construction process are in accordance with Town by-laws. We advise property owners to make sure their contractors cooperate.

It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that the inspector is advised that the work has started or is nearing a critical step.

Please contact the inspector at the following stages, depending on the work involved:

  • In case of an addition
    • Before pouring the footings
    • Before pouring the foundation walls
  • In case of pool construction
    • As soon as the pool outline is drawn on the grass
    • Before pouring the foundation walls
    • When the waste pipe is connected to your house drainage system
  • In case of plumbing work
    • Before pouring the concrete basement slab
    • Before closing the walls

To schedule an inspection, please contact the Urban Planning and Development division during office hours. If you call outside office hours to schedule an inspection, please leave a detailed message that includes the address where the inspection would take place, the type of inspection required, and the date and time required.