The Mount Royal public sewer and water mains networks each total 90 km of conducts.

Normal maintenance and replacement of sewer network and water distribution system components are assumed by Public Works. Major restoration work is handed over to Engineering for detailed planning and follow-up: this is the kind of work for which residents receive an Info construction letter.

Sewer back-up

Following a backflow, it is up to the owner to contract the services of a plumber to have the wastewater outlet of his residence checked. If the plumber is unable to identify the cause of the backflow, our Public Works teams will determine whether the incident originates from the municipal infrastructure or the domestic portion of the network.
By viewing the pipes with a camera, we can determine whether the public network is to blame for the damage caused to a residence. If this is the case, the municipality assumes responsibility for repairing the damage to the homeowner who is the victim of a backflow. On the other hand, if the problem originates from the home network, which starts at the property line, a notice is given to the homeowner .

Please make sure that your private system’s cleanout remains accessible at all times so it can be reached quickly in an emergency.

You have a window of fifteen days following a sewer back-up to submit a claim to the Town if you believe that the Town's responsibility is engaged. Do so before you even know the extent of the damage and the related costs.

Learn tips to protect your home against back-ups: consult the documents associated to this page to find our folder.

Water breaks

Public Works does emergency repairs of water breaks within four to eight hours. It's a priority.

The costs of repairs are assumed by Town of Mount Royal if the public system is found to be the source of the problem.

If the break is in a private line, the owner is given notice to have it repaired at his or her expense within a limited time.

Procedure to follow for a new sewer and/or aqueduct connection

To get a permit for the installation of a new sewer and/or water main connection; please fill our online form.