Have you suffered a loss or damage that you feel was caused by an action performed by—or attributable to—Town of Mount Royal?

If so, you should submit a claim by following the rules in the Cities and Towns Act or the Civil Code, as the case may be.

Some of the situations that most commonly lead to a claim being submitted are:

  • Sewer backup;
  • A branch from a Town tree falling on your car or other property;
  • Falling on a sidewalk;
  • Private property damaged by municipal work;
  • Vehicle damaged by a pothole.

Applicable deadlines

your property was damaged

Mandatory notice: 15 days
The Cities and Towns Act requires claimants to provide a written notice of action to the Town in the 15 days following the incident, “failing which the municipality shall be relieved from any liability for any damages caused by such accident, any provision of the law to the contrary notwithstanding.”.

Prescription: 6 months
No action for damages may be taken more than six (6) months after the day on which the right of action accrued.

you are injured

Optional notice
You are not required to send a notice of action to the Town before submitting a claim for damages related to bodily injury. However, such notice is desirable, as it will enable the Town to expedite the processing of your claim.

Prescription : 3 years
No action for bodily injury can be taken more than three (3) years after the day on which the incident occurred.



The notice must be in writing. It can be in the form of a letter or submitted on the optional online form provided by the Town,.

At a minimum, the notice must include:

  • the claimant’s complete contact information;
  • the claimant’s last and first names;
  • the date and time of the incident;
  • a description of the events leading to the claim.

The notice may be submitted in person, by mail or email:

90 Roosevelt Avenue
Mount Royal, Quebec H3R 1Z5
Email address: townclerk@town.mount-royal.qc.ca


A collision between an individual’s vehicle, whether moving or stationary, and a Town vehicle is an exception to the standard claims procedure.

In conformance with the Automobile Insurance Act, any claim by the owner of a vehicle for material damage suffered in an automobile accident can, in principle, be handled only through the insurer with which the owner has an automobile insurance policy. You must therefore submit your claim directly to your insurer and the Town will do likewise.


Town Clerk’s office
90 Roosevelt Avenue
Mount Royal, Quebec H3R 1Z5
Telephone : 514 734-2988

Fill the claim form.