Abandoned or injured animal: what to do

If you see an abandoned or injured pet on public property, call Public Security at 514 734-4666. If the animal is wearing a tag, an agent will contact the owner. Otherwise, the animal will be kept at the Public Security offices (10 Roosevelt Avenue) for one hour before being transferred to Contrôle animal Vaudreuil-Soulanges, where it will be housed at the owner’s expense (which includes the pick-up fee and any fur maintenance fees).

Contrôle animal Vaudreuil-Soulanges

1269 Harwood Road
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, J7V 8P2
Tel.: 450 510-1508
Website: https://canindusuroit.com/about-us.php
Email: canindusuroit@outlook.com
Resource person: Richard Seymour

Residents looking for a lost pet should first contact Public Security (514 734-4666) and then Contrôle animal Vaudreuil-Soulanges (450 510-1508 or canindusuroit@outlook.com).        

Contrôle animal Vaudreuil-Soulanges will also pick up, at the owner’s expense, pets that the owner wants or needs to give up. In such cases, the pet’s veterinary records and any other useful information about the pet should also be provided.

Dog or cat license: indispensable

Please note that animal license registrations and renewals are now completed online in the Gestipattes software.

For the year 2023, the license renewal period has started.

Here is the link to the online registration and/or renewal form in Gestipattes.

A personalized reminder has also been sent by email to owners already registered in Gestipattes. 

Information: info@ville.mont-royal.qc.ca 

All dogs and cats must have a license to keep them. This license is valid from the time it is obtained until December 31of the current year. It is then renewable annually on January 1 of the following year.
The price depends on whether or not the animal has been neutered. The application must be accompanied by a document attesting the breed in the case of a dog, a rabies vaccination certificate and, if applicable, a certificate of castration or sterilization and all other information and documents required on the permit application form. 

The price and conditions for obtaining a dog or cat license are detailed in By-law No. 1340. available at the Town Hall Service Counter.
In 2020, the Government of Quebec adopted a provincial by-law to promote the protection of persons by establishing a framework with regard to dogs. This regulation contains minimum mandatory standards that may directly affect you. 

Municipalities are responsible for ensuring the respect of these rules, but they cannot override them through their own by-laws. For example, in addition to increased fines for certain dog control offences, the by-law includes two important measures: 

  • For all dogs: the leash must not exceed 1.85 m in length.
  • For dogs weighing 20 kg or more, they must, when in public places, always be on a leash with a halter or harness (except in dog run facilities).   

Therefore, to ensure that you are aware of all the rules applicable to a dog and its care, you should consult not only By-law No. 1340, but also the provincial by-law.


Keep an eye on your pets!

Owners are responsible for ensuring their pets behave properly. Therefore, any violation of By-law No. 1340 or the provincial dog by-law is subject to a fine, plus administrative costs. 

For a cat or a dog:

  • without a valid license or not wearing its tag
  • dangerous, rabid or acting like it has rabies
  • disturbing the peace in the neighbourhood
  • damaging a garbage bag
  • found in a park other than the dog run
  • found on private property without the property owner’s consent
  • dog without a leash or with a leash exceeding 1.85 m. 
  • dog weighing 20 kg or more on a leash without a halter or harness (except in a dog run).  

Stray cats: Trap-Neuter-Release-Maintain (TNRM) program

The Town offers a program to trap, neuter, release and maintain stray cats on its territory. The SPCA Montréal is responsible for the program, in collaboration with our Public Security Department.

It is mandatory to visit our Public Security counter during office hours to fill out a program registration form. This form is not available online.

Wild animals: measures for keeping them away from you home

Public Security, in collaboration with Contrôle animalier Vaudreuil-Soulanges, handles all matters relating to wild animals in the Town.

To keep wild animals such as skunks, squirrels and racoons out of your yard, you should take a few precautions. The best way to discourage animal pests is to make sure your household waste is kept in tightly closed garbage containers. It is also helpful to wait until collection day before putting out the garbage. Obviously, you should avoid taming wild animals, in particular squirrels, by feeding them. Bird feeders can sometimes attract small rodents. You can also prevent animals from building a home under balconies, verandas and garden sheds by blocking their access.

If any of these animals turn up in your yard, you may find it useful to know that squirrels do not like cayenne pepper, that skunks and woodchucks are deterred by the smell of ammonia and that racoons avoid light and noise.

For a fee, cages can be rented from Contrôle animal Vaudreuil-Soulanges (450 510-1508). Humane Wildlife Control (514 395-4555 or 1-888-592-0387) also provides animal removal services. It is recommended that you inquire about costs before requesting removal.

As wildlife is protected under the Act respecting the conservation and development of wildlife (C.Q.L.R. c. C-61.1), it is strongly recommended that you hire professionals for any residential wildlife removal.

Removal of dead animals

When located on private property, it is the owner's responsibility to pick up the dead animal, at their expense. For small animals such as squirrels or birds, they can simply be placed in the garbage in a bag for regular garbage collection. For larger animals, owners must dispose of them at their own expense, either at the SPCA or through a specialized private contractor.

On the other hand for wild animals found dead on the public road, one can call Public Security who will call a specialized private contractor to collect it.

Note that dead animals, including birds, should not be handled without some kind of protection (gloves, plastic bag, hand washing, etc.).