Permits for commercial activities: public auctions, sale of Christmas trees, professional gardening and snow removal, mobile canteens

Each of the above activities requires a special permit, as detailed in By-law No. 1383.

Gardeners and snow removal contractors must first contact Public Security before obtaining their permit: 514-734-4666. By-law No. 1380 imposes restrictions on noise nuisances caused by lanscaping work and By-law No. 1432 addresses all aspects of professional snow removal, including permit costs.

Permits regarding urban planning: occupation, exterior signage, construction, renovation, etc.

For all the following types of work or procedure, you should contact the experts in our Urban Planning and Inspection Division to get your project approved and obtain the necessary permit.

You will avoid many potential problems and extra costs by checking with us before beginning work on your project.

  • Demolition
  • New construction
  • Addition
  • Exterior signage
  • Occupation (setting up a business or modifying its activities within a same building or unit)
  • Exterior finish, including roofing material (adding or replacing)
  • Change of interior layout
  • Construction of a mezzanine
  • Window, garage door or entrance door openings; adding or enlarging openings (replacing windows and doors in existing openings does not require a permit)
  • Plumbing (adding or relocating fixtures; repairing private sewage system)
  • Parking lot drainage
  • Geothermal system
  • Chimney
  • Cabana or accessory construction
  • Fence
  • Retaining wall
  • Parking lot (enlarging or repaving)
  • Irrigation system
  • Exterior mechanical equipement
  • Antenna
  • Tree cutting
  • Installation of a silo
  • Exterior storage

Bring all relevant documents (blueprints, certificate of location, etc., depending on the project) to our Inspection Service Counter at 10 Roosevelt Avenue. You can find examples of required plans in the documentation associated to this page.

Miscellaneous documents regarding urban planning


CCU calendar 

Permit application forms (in some cases, French only)