Permits for commercial activities: public auctions, sale of Christmas trees, professional gardening and snow removal, mobile canteens
Each of the above activities requires a special permit, as detailed in By-law No. 1383.
Gardeners and snow removal contractors must first contact Public Security before obtaining their permit: 514-734-4666. By-law No. 1380 imposes restrictions on noise nuisances caused by lanscaping work and By-law No. 1432 addresses all aspects of professional snow removal, including permit costs.
Permits regarding urban planning: occupation, exterior signage, construction, renovation, etc.
For all the following types of work or procedure, you should contact the experts in our Urban Planning and Inspection Division to get your project approved and obtain the necessary permit.
You will avoid many potential problems and extra costs by checking with us before beginning work on your project. Note that the list below varies slightly for residential zones.
- New Building
- Interior and exterior renovations
- Changing of exterior finishes
- Modification to openings
- Occupancy: opening of a new business or modification of an existing business
- Driveway and Parking area: enlarging or repaving driveway and/or installing heated driveways (must be equipped with a drainage system)
- Landscaping: adding or modifying paved surfaces, planting hedges in front yards (respecting new green bands & vegetation and plant coverages)
- New loading areas
- Plumbing: adding or relocating fixtures, repairing private sewage system
- Geothermal system
- Accessory building
- Retaining wall
- Drilling, underpinnings and underground earth-retaining wall (mur berlinois)
- Irrigation system
- Location of the garbage/recycling container
- Mechanical equipment: heat pump, air conditioning or generator units
- Smoking shelter
- Tree cutting
Bring all relevant documents (blueprints, certificate of location, etc., depending on the project) to our Inspection Service Counter at 10 Roosevelt Avenue. You can find examples of required plans in the documentation associated to this page.
Miscellaneous documents regarding urban planning
- 1441 - Zoning By-Law
- 1443 - Building By-Law
- 1312 - Minor Variances By-Law
- 1442 - Subdivision By-Law
- 1444 - Permits and Certificates By-Law
- 1317 - PIIA
- 1358 - Selective Collection of Recuperable Secondary Materials and Refuse Collection By-Law
- 1380 - Sanitation, Safety, Peace and Order By-Law
- 1440 - Urban Plan
- 1419 - Water Supply By-Law
- 1424 - Solid Fuel Heating and Cooking Units By-Law
- 1434 - CCU
- 1435 - By-Law Governing the Demolition of Immovables