What projects require a building permit?
For all the following types of project, you should contact the experts in our Urban Planning and Inspection Division to get your project approved and obtain the necessary permit.
You will avoid many potential problems and extra costs by checking with us before beginning work on your project.
- New house
- Solarium, veranda
- Exterior finish, including roofing material (adding or replacing)
- Window or door openings; adding, enlarging or adding a bay window (replacing windows in existing opening does not require a permit)
- Balcony, patio or terrace
- Dormers or skylights
- Plumbing (adding or relocating fixtures; repairing private sewage system)
- Structural alteration
- Geothermal system
- Porch or vestibule
- Garden shed or cabana
- Gazebo, arbour or pergola
- Retaining wall
- Swimming pool, hot tub or pond
- Driveway (enlarging or refinishing)
- Irrigation system
- Landscaping (if land is raised 12 inches or more)
- Heat pump or air-conditioning unit
- Exterior signage
- Occupancy – opening of a business or modifications to its activities within a same building or unit
- Tree cutting
- Any change to a semi-detached unit (the unitary and symmetrical character – including materials, colours, balconies, vestibules, porticoes, window types, architectural details, etc. – of the original construction of each semi-detached unit shall be maintained)
Bring all relevant documents (blueprints, certificate of location, etc., depending on the project) to our Inspection Service Counter at 10 Roosevelt Avenue. You can find examples of required plans in the documentation associated to this page.