The Green Patrol and Blue Patrol are back this year from May to August. The service agent, Jaime Malone, is advising citizens on how to use drinking water responsibly. She also provides information about the by-laws respecting drinking water and the impacts of climate change on the urban environment, particularly the increased incidence of severe rainstorms.
With a portable lawn sprinkler or a soaker hose
• Lawns at even-numbered addresses
may be watered on even-numbered dates, and at odd-numbered addresses on odd-numbered dates.
• Mornings, 6:00-8:00 and evenings, 18:00-22:00, if it doesn’t rain
With an automatic sprinkler system
• Must be equipped with a rain sensor
• Lawns at even-numbered addresses may be watered on even-numbered dates, and at odd-numbered addresses on odd-numbered dates.
• Must be programmed to run between 3 a.m. and 6 a.m.
• Plants may be watered by hand at any time if it isn’t raining, from May 1st to October 1st
For using a hose or equipment connected to the water supply system
• Washing paved surfaces (asphalt, for example), patios and outside walls is prohibited, except during construction and landscaping work or as a health measure.
• It is prohibited to let water trickle onto the road
or onto neighbours’ properties.
• All decorative ponds with waterfalls, water fountains or water jets must have a water recycling system.
Did you know?
By watering deeply, you can water less often.
Rain barrel : Collect rainwater in a barrel: You will help reduce the amount of rainwater that otherwise just goes down the drain.
The right plant in the right place: Take the type of soil into account as well as the amount of sunshine your plants need. A plant requiring cool, damp soil, but located in a dry area, will need more watering. And the
opposite holds true as well: For those plants that thrive on dry soil in a dry environment, you won’t have to water as much.
Car: Washing your car by hosing it down can waste
up to 400 litres of water. By using a pistol grip nozzle, a pail and a sponge, you can save 300 litres of water.
Pool: Place a cover over your pool to reduce
Roof: If you have a sloping roof, disconnect your gutters from the sewer system. Redirect the rainwater to a surface that the water can penetrate–a vegetable garden, for example–while making sure that you direct
the water flow at least 1.5 metres away from the building, to prevent seepage into the foundations.
Certified products: Keep an eye out for WaterSense certification (toilets, showerheads, faucets and aerators) that help you save water.
For further information, call 514 734-4123.