Building permits

Besides ensuring that construction regulations are met, building permits do the same for zoning specifications and grids, Site Planning and Architectural Integration Plan (PIIA), fire and structural safety standards and other applicable building regulations.

Make sure to consult our Zoning By-law (1441 - chapters, 1441 - zoning map, 1441 - zoning grids). Also consult our Building By-law No. 1443. Failure to observe the zoning and construction requirements may lead to problems when selling your property.

It is the homeowner’s responsibility to ensure that a building permit is obtained when required.

What type of work requires a permit?

Generally, exterior work requires a permit. Work performed inside requires a building permit when it is structure-related. You may also need a plumbing permit when adding or relocating fixtures that connect to the water network.

See which type of work requires a permit.

First things first

Before you start preparing your project, make sure you obtain all the zoning information for your neighbourhood. Zoning determines the uses permitted as well as the restrictions applying to your sector with respect to setbacks, building height, volume and area.

The Site Planning and Architectural Integration Plan (PIIA) indicates from which of the three historical phases of development of the urban fabric your neighborhood stems. The PIIA sets out objectives and guidelines for construction, renovation and landscaping changes. It even applies to apartment buildings, commercial buildings and industrial buildings. Its goal is to ensure that all changes integrate harmoniously within their surrounding environment.

Allowed materials and types of construction are specified in our Building By-law No. 1443.

Together, the zoning specifications and the PIIA, combined with a list of potential materials to consider, will provide you with the right information to help you prepare a quality project to be submitted to the Planning Advisory Committee (CCU).

Documents available from the Urban Planning and Inspection Division

  • Previous permits
  • Building plans for your home (we have most of these plans on file)
  • Zoning specifications, the PIIA, etc.

To obtain these documents, the property owners must go to the Urban Planning and Inspection service counter. They may also delegate someone, authorized by letter to obtain copies of the required plans. Under the Act respecting access to documents held by public bodies and the protection of personal information, no document may be issued without proof of identity or a letter of authorization.

Please note that we do not provide property owners with a certificate of location.

What is a certificate of location?

A certificate of location is an official document prepared by a land surveyor. It allows you to determine the exact location of the structures erected on a site. It is also accompanied by a description of the property. It is an integral part of a real estate transaction.

The certificate indicates servitudes which may affect your renovation project.

You must submit it with your application for a building permit or a zoning study.

How to apply for a permit

  1. It is recommended that you contact the Urban Planning and Inspection Division before preparing your renovation project. It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that the necessary steps are taken to obtain a building permit.
  2. To prepare good working drawings requires solid knowledge of building codes and regulations. We recommend that you hire someone with an architectural background to draw up your project plans. Plans for projects with a steel frame or a complex or special structure must be prepared and approved by an engineer.
  3. Depending on the type of work you are considering, a technical document must be prepared fully describing the proposed architectural and structural alterations. The documents you submit along with your application for a permit must provide the Urban Planning and Inspection Division with all the details and information required to fully understand your application.
  4. We require that all permits applications be submitted by the property owner or the authorized representative. Please note that all permits except plumbing permits are issued directly to the property owner. Although plumbing permits are not issued to the owner, this does not discharge the owner from his/her responsibilities. Failure to obtain any of the required permits may subject the owner to penalties.

To be complete, if it does not need to be examined by the CCU, your permit application must include…

  • Three complete sets of drawings (refer to various examples of required plans in our documentation to learn more)
  • A certificate of location with proper scale
  • The names, addresses and telephone numbers of the owner, architect, engineer and contractor
  • The contractor’s license number (issued by the Régie du bâtiment du Québec or the Corporation des maîtres mécaniciens en tuyauterie du Québec)
  • Photographs of the elevations affected by the building project
  • An estimate of the costs, i.e. a quote
  • $100 for the study of your application

Once a permit is approved and ready to be issued, the balance owing will be calculated. It must be paid before the permit can be issued.

If it requires the CCU's approval, to be complete your permit application must include…

  • A single, complete set of drawings (refer to various examples of required plans in our documentation to learn more)
  • A certificate of location with proper scale
  • The names, addresses and telephone numbers either of the owner or the professional in charge of the project
  • Photographs of the elevations affected by the building project

A complete set of PDF files of your request must be sent to our Urban Planning and Inspection Division. Should Council accept your project following a favorable recommendation of the CCU, we will require:

Verification of a permit application

The process starts with the verification of your project by the Urban Planning and Inspection Division, which determines whether or not it complies with Town by-laws. Your project must be submitted one week prior to a Planning Advisory Committee (CCU) meeting to allow for its verification before it can be submitted.

Once compliance has been established, your project is submitted to the CCU. The Committee assesses your application on the basis of objectives and criteria with respect to the location and architecture of the proposed structures or layout of the land, in light of site planning and architectural integration by-laws.

If your project meets the CCU’s criteria, the committee recommends its approval by Town Council. Once this approval has been granted, a permit is issued.

If the CCU refuses your project or asks you to review it, it will make suggestions to help you resubmit it for approval.

How to choose a contractor?

As the quality of work depends on the contractor, you must choose one who has the required qualifications to carry out your project.

We therefore advise you to ask the contractor for references. By checking with former clients by phone or in person, you may avoid a few unpleasant surprises. It is also a good idea to check the contractors’ qualifications and credibility with the organizations to which they belong. If a worker does not have the required competency cards, you may be held responsible for this irregularity.

Some referral agencies :

What to do once the work gets under way?

Display the building permit in a window where it is easily visible from the street.

Keep on the building site a complete copy of the plans signed and stamped by the Town for on-site consultation by the contractor and the inspector.

Boundary marking required before the beginning of work

All holders of permits for the enlargement of a building or other structure within 30 cm of required setbacks or for the erection of a main building, swimming pool or fence must have the site staked by a land surveyor before work may commence.

Work timetable

It is forbidden to engage in construction work, of any nature whatsoever, that has the effect of emitting noise outdoors:

  • Before 7:00 and after 20:00, from Monday to Friday
  • Before 9:00 and after 17:00, on Saturdays
  • On Sundays and statutory holidays

What is the inspector’s role?

Once a permit has been issued, the inspector is required to perform inspections during construction to ensure the structure and construction process are in accordance with Town by-laws. We advise property owners to make sure their contractors cooperate.

It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that the inspector is advised that the work has started or is nearing a critical step.

Please contact your inspector for the following steps:


  • Before pouring the footings.
  • Before pouring the foundation walls.

Swimming Pool

  • As soon as the pool outline is drawn on the grass.
  • Before pouring the foundation walls.
  • When the waste pipe is connected to your house drainage system.


  • Before pouring the basement floor slab.
  • Before closing the walls.

Are you looking to schedule an inspection?

If you call outside office hours to schedule an inspection, please leave a detailed message that includes the address where the inspection would take place, the type of inspection required, and the date and time required.

Opening hours